Leewood is centrally located to many parks, schools, libraries, and other useful features. Below is a list of some of the facilities near Leewood. You can find these on a local map or many are listed in the Fairfax Website which also has maps included in it.
0 - ½ Mile
DEERLICK PARK – 6821 Braddock Road – Across Backlick Road from Leestone Street, entrance is off of Matthew Place, or you can park there at the Braddock Rd. Entrance.
EDSALL PARK – 6845 Edsall Road – Corner of Backlick and Edsall
½ - 1 Mile
LEEWOOD PARK – 7111 Woodland Drive – Off of Woodland Road near Backlick
WILBURDALE PARK - 7245 Wilburdale – Turn left off of Backlick on Wilburdale (1st left after Bradlick Shopping Center)
- Trails, Little League Field, Basketball, Picnic Area, Playground, Tot Lot
BACKLICK PARK – 4516 Backlick Road – Left off of Backlick before 236 or John Marr Drive
- Basketball, Tennis Court (Lit), Tennis Practice Wall (Lit), Bike Trail, Fitness Trail, Nature Trail, Picnic Area, Playground, Tot Lot
MASON DISTRICT PARK – 6621 Columbia Pike – Off of Columbia Pike East (6621 Columbia Pike, Annandale).
- A major park with playing fields, a large natural area, a hiking trails, play ground and tot lot, tennis courts and a refreshment stand.
- During the summer months, free outdoor concerts are held at the park, as are Farmers Markets.
- 23 Acres with hiking trails, Softball Field (lit), Tennis Court (Lit), Picnic Area, Tot Lot and Playground
PINECREST GOLF COURSE - 6600 Little River Turnpike – Take Braddock Road East
- Pinecrest is a long, narrow course with several hilly areas and ponds, creating a golfing environment for players.
- Pinecrest also features cart paths, a putting green and 10 driving cages. Group, or individual golf outings and lessons are available. Facilities include a modern clubhouse, pro shop and full snack bar.
- Golf clubs, riding and pull carts are available for rent. Pinecrest also offers indoor driving cages equipped with computer simulations of famous golf courses from around the world. Participants use every club in their bag while playing either 9 or 18 holes.
- The course is open all year, weather permitting. Pinecrest is accessible to people with disabilities.
NORTH SPRINGFIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL – 7602 Heming Court – West on Braddock, left on Hemming, right at Hemming Ct. (Elementary School for Leewood children)
HOLMES MIDDLE SCHOOL - 6525 Montrose Street – East on Braddock, right on Montrose (Middle School for Leewood)
ANNANDALE HIGH SCHOOL - 4700 Medford Drive – West on Braddock, right on Ravensworth, left on Davian Drive, left on Medford (Regular High School for Leewood)
THOMAS JEFFERSON HIGH SCHOOL FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – 6560 Braddock Road – Braddock Road East, on your left (Magnet school and Governor’s school)
UPS - 5409 Port Royal Road – West on Braddock, left on Port Royal Road (right after the beltway), UPS is on your left
U. S. POST OFFICE – 5238 Port Royal Road – - Ravensworth Shopping Center, just West of the beltway; West on Braddock, Left on Port Royal Road immediately after the beltway. This is the Post Office for our zip code and where your packages and certified letters will reside.
VRE - VIRGINIA RAILWAY EXPRESS - Backlick Road Station – 6900 Hechinger Drive – 1 ½ Miles South on Backlick, take a left at Hechinger Drive
- Railway commuter service to DC
GEORGE MASON DISTRICT LIBRARY – 7001 Little River Turnpike – East on Little River Turnpike, on your right.
ANNANDALE PARK AND HIDDEN OAKS NATURE CENTER – 4020 Hummer Road – West on 236, North on Hummer Road)
- Hidden Oaks Nature Center is located in Annandale Park.. Inside the nature center visitors will find natural and cultural history exhibits, a library, and an auditorium. A naturalist is always available during operating hours to answer questions.
- The surrounding park features a nature trail, a playground, picnic shelter, ballfields, and the Fred M. Packard Center. It is heavily wooded and lovely.
- The nature center is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; weekends and holidays from noon until 5 p.m., and is closed on Tuesdays.
- Hidden Oaks is only open on weekends during January and February.
FORT WARD MUSEUM AND HISTORIC SITE - 4301 West Braddock Road , Alexandria, VA 22314 – Go North on 395 to Seminary Road, follow the signs
- Fort Ward is one of the several forts which protected Washington during the Civil War.
- The museum features changing Civil War exhibits.
- Open: Tue. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sun. 12 - 5 p.m. Park open daily 9 a.m. to sunset.
- Closed Mon., Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day.
HIDDEN POND NATURE CENTER -- 8511 Greeley Boulevard in Springfield.
- Hidden Pond has indoor exhibits, a nature trail, a pond, tot lot and picnic shelter. A naturalist is always available during operating hours to answer questions.
- Abundant wildlife and extensive woodlands, along the Pohick Creek, are features of this park.
- Hidden Pond is open daily from 9a.m. to 5 p.m.; weekends and holidays from noon until 5 p.m., and is closed on Tuesdays.
- Hidden Pond is open from noon until 5 p.m. during January and February.
GREEN SPRING GARDENS PARK – 4603 Green Spring Road – East on Braddock Road, turn right soon after Braddock crosses Little River Turnpike
- The park has many different demonstration gardens, as well as a greenhouse and horticulture center to provide visitors with ideas for home landscaping.
- Gorgeous gardens with benches scattered throughout
- Green Spring Gardens Park also has a restored18th-century Manor House with gazebo and a wooded valley with ponds.
- Green Spring Gardens Park is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
- During the summer months, free outdoor concerts are held at the park.
LAKE ACCOTINK PARK – 7500 Accotink Park Road in Springfield.
- This is a major park very near to Leewood. It may be accessed from either Backlick Road or Braddock Road. You may also get to it via trails from Wakefield Rec Center and Park.
- Its 482 acres include a 77-acre lake with boating, fishing, hiking, miniature golf, a carousel, snack bar, tourboat rides, trails, picnic areas and playgrounds. Boats powered by electric motors, sailboats under 15 feet and kayaks are allowed on the lake. Swimming and windsurfing are prohibited. Nominal fees are required for miniature golf, the carousel, rowboat, pedal boat and canoe rentals.
- During the summer months, free outdoor concerts are held at the park.
WAKEFIELD PARK & RECREATION CENTER – 8100 Braddock Road – West on Braddock Road, to the right after the beltway
- Another major resource right near Leewood. This has facilities for both indoor and outdoor fun.
- It has an Olympic-sized heated indoor pool, saunas, locker rooms with showers, a 100' x 92' gymnasium, squash, racquetball and basketball courts, fitness room, dance room, multi-purpose rooms, arts and crafts room, pottery lab, photography darkroom, and senior center.
- The park surrounding the center has a variety of ball fields, basketball and tennis courts, a tot lot, a playground and a picnic area.
- Skateboard ramps
- There are wildflowers and trails leading to Lake Accotink Park.
- For further information or tennis court reservations call Wakefield RECenter at 703/321-7081. People with hearing disabilities may call 703/321-8124, voice/TTY, for information on programs.
FRANCONIA PARK - 6432 Bowie Dr.
- Little League Field, Softball,Football
CLARK HOUSE – 6332 Barcroft Mews Drive – off of Columbia Pike near Barcroft Plaza
- A 1902 Victorian farmhouse, has been restored to its original exterior.
- The interior has been modernized with wall-to-wall carpeting, air conditioning and a full kitchen, but retains its original detailing and woodwork. The large front porch, wraparound veranda, main entry hall, and main level rooms are a splendid setting for a dinner party of up to 40 or a cocktail reception of up to 65.
- With a lower level assembly room, a range of audio-visual and presentation equipment, and proximity to Rosslyn, Crystal City and the Capital Beltway, the Clark House is also a fabulous site for small corporate meetings, retreats, and seminars.
Just over 3 miles
LANDMARK MALL – East on 236, just after the intersection with I395
SPRINGFIELD MALL – South on Backlick, turn left at Commerce St. to the mall
Click for printer friendly page